San Diego Half Marathon (#5)

We high tailed it down to the expo before it opened and beat the crowds. Maybe because it was the first time in skirts since last fall or just the excitement of the weekend plans. We took a swag lap around all the booths after picking up our bibs and technical t-shirt then ended up at the booth with headbands and SD half gear. I purchased a few headbands and wore one of them during the race. I typically cover my ears in the city because of the cool wind but these destination races call for just a head band to hold my hair back.


The afternoon after the expo was spent walking around La Jolla with lunch overlooking the cove. I fueled like I would for a typical long run, which meant lots of water and anything goes except for alcohol. Next time my choices will be a little more selective because the salty fish tacos and corn chips were probably the cause of the swollen hands and feet post-race.

Race Day

We arrived with plenty of time, there were plenty of portapots (thank goodness!) for the 6000+ participants.

We were wave 14, this was my first experience with a wave start for a half marathon. While we waited, I captured a great photo of the San Diego sunrise. 20140312-170010.jpg

Many times during the 35 minute wait, I had to remind myself that this was a training run – a leisure run – and that’s why we were with the 2:45 pace group. I have quite a competitive nature, this was probably the most difficult part of the race. =) My internal goal was to stay with this pace group at least till the very end, then if we felt good, pass them.

The waves went off about 20 seconds or so apart except for a few of them, which were held at the start for 7 minutes so they wouldn’t have to wait for the trolly to pass on course.

I don’t recall crossing the tracks and, for that matter, a number of miles during the race were a blur, and are hard to recall. The conversation must have been engaging. =)

Mile 2-4

The next few miles took us past the Broadway Pier where the expo was held, then we headed toward the airport. We saw some airplanes landing so close, it was pretty cool.

My sister needed to use the portapot and at 3.75 we saw one on the other side with an aid station. We were doing a run/walk and there was only one portapot so I told her to go on ahead and I’ll catch up with her. I took a moment to capture this picture for her. At the time, I didn’t realize how beautiful it would come out wit the sun shining through the tree.


Mile 4-9

My 12 day old groin pull was now warmed up and was allowing my stride to increase so we picked up the pace to catch up with the 2:45 pace group after the potty stop. Mile 6-7 took us along a beautiful park with decommissioned cannons. This is the moment that I realized the race was going by in a blur because we had been running by this park for a few minutes already.

The water stations were now out of water and electrolyte fuel. Disappointing and sad that the people who may need it the most, 3:00+, don’t have this vital necessity. A person from the first-aid station was giving out water bottles. We grabbed one to share between us. Half empty water bottles are not the friendliest things to carry on a run. With the temperature above 60 and aid stations running out of water, we had no choice.

Again, it’s was just a leisure run.

There was a fun 270 degree exit with an underpass/tunnel at the Marine Corp. Recruiting facility. I made sure to hoot and holler in the tunnel.

Mile 8 SD Half Marathon

Mile 9-10

By mile 9 we passed the 3:00 pace group and caught up to the 2:45 pace group. Perfect timing because we encountered an awesome 1 mile, 300+ft elevation increase (i.e. hill).

The pace group was alone and one of the few around us who were still running. We ran with them for a bit then pulled ahead. During this hill, we took our scheduled walk breaks and continued the strong climb. We finished strong at the top. Up and over.

Half way up, I took a photo. It was a great hill. My sister from flat Indiana crushed it.

Mile 10-13

We had passed the 2:45 pace group so we slowed our pace to conversation pace after passing through the Hillcrest neighborhood. The chatting picked up on the 3.1 mile downhill to the finish. We passed the west side of Balboa Park.

San Diego Half Marathon 2014

San Diego Half Marathon 2014

The after party was at AT&T park, but we were ready to get back to the hotel. They provided a generous goodie bag with an orange and banana, along with chocolate treats. After a finishers photo, texting our loved ones and a walk through a local market (not part of the SD half), we slowly made the walk back to the hotel.

Injury report

  • Pre: Left groin pull
  • During: Back (Kinesio Taped: Left groin, left knee)
  • Post: Back, right knee (taped it wrong before race, so removed tape prior to race), hurt for two days (iced and taped post race)

How many half marathon’s have you completed with the intent of it being a training run or a leisure run?


2 thoughts on “San Diego Half Marathon (#5)

  1. Pingback: Oakland Running Festival Half Marathon (#6) | SF Moto Run Chick

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s