Last night at Bay Area Girl Geek dinner hosted by Optimizely, I was sitting around a table with 5 other girl geeks and half of them were developers talking about how they have a career as a software engineer. In that moment, these facts came to mind
- I’ve been around computers all my life (since I was 3 years old)
- I created my first website on geocities when I was 16
- Self taught html, css, SQL, php
- Informatics Bachelors degree with two semesters of Java, plus other classes in C#, SAP, and SQL databases
- My MSIS Master’s capstone project was a Health 2.0 dashboard for Deloitte & Touche
- In every job since completing my undergrad, I’ve ended up creating or working on my employer’s website, even when I was hired as an insurance agent
Then I questioned myself, “I have the length of experience and the skills, why am I not sitting in their shoes right now“?
HackBright Academy is also the sponsor of Bay Area Girl Geek dinners.