Birthday Weekend Half Marathons (double trouble)!!
The last long run before this race was Monday at a quick clip of 5 .5 miles. The weather looked cool but at the pre-race warmup, realized that I didn’t need the sleeves because it was on the humid side. Warmer than expected.
I taped everything because I didn’t want to feel the calf soreness since Monday and didn’t want to strain anything because I am running another 13.1 tomorrow.
After mile 6, I slowed down. It was a warm day, there were hills, there were long stretches, I was tired. But! At mile 12, T was waiting with this sign which fueled the last mile of the race – I did it without stopping to walk.
Goal was under 2:15 and I accomplished it!
My two friends were waiting for me at the finish. So glad to have them with me on my birthday weekend.
- Pearl Izumi hat
- Athleta headband – the next one I get will be from Pearl Izumi
- Last year’s Livermore #RunLiv premium t-shirt
- Champion Sports Bra
- Sports Basement Pace Band tattoo
- Manzella lightweight Gloves
- Nike Plus Sport Watch
- XtremeMac iPhone holder
- RoadID Slim Wrist band
- Orange Mud Race belt – This allows for all sizes of bibs without puckering. Also, I love their hydroquiver.
- Skirt Sport Skirt – the one with the long pocket down the right side, perfect to hold my chapstick close at hand!
- A standard money belt that you would take traveling to carry Pro Bar Bolts, money, ID, keys, (chapstick), and tissues.
- Patagonia Active Hipster Briefs
- Lucy Run Capris – I love that they have reflective strips on both sides!!!
- Kinesio Tape
- Injinji toe socks – they just came out with a women’s specific run sock that I can’t wait to try out.
- Newton Distance U (retired by Newton)
- Morning Of: Oatmeal with crasins, almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; 1 cup hot caffeinated tea with splenda; nature valley crunchy oat bar.
- During: 1 pack of Pro Bar Bolts with caffeine; 1/2 package Pro Bar Bolt without caffeine; 1/2 kidz clif bar, chocolate chip; water.
- After: Banana, Purity Peach, Kidz clif peanut butter protein bar; french fries; fruity drink;
- Tried eating but body said NO!: Kind bar; Pulled pork; baked beans
- Pre-race Injury: No injury. Sore calves since Monday after 5.5 mile 10 min/mile run.
- Taped: Both knees, hamstrings, groin, calves.
- During: Calf soreness @ mile 10.
- Post Race: Stretched well after the race (Thanks to T). Lunch in Livermore, 1 hr commute home. Took a ice bath after I got home. No stretching or exertion after that.
- Day after (and before next half marathon): Sore calves. Stiff back in starting corral.
- Two days after race: See Rock n Roll Half Marathon Report